Am I Doing this Right?

In moving from face-to-face to online learning in a crisis situation, I had to make quick decisions and move forward for the benefit of my students.

by Ben Dolan, Ph.D.

When my university made the decision to move instruction online, faculty were given broad discretion on how to do it. The same is likely true for many others, and this is the way it should be...teachers should decide what's best for them and their students. But here's the struggle: there's a dizzying array of ways to teach online, and if you've not done much online teaching (or learning), it can get overwhelming really fast.

The options for online coursework are nearly endless but generally fall into two categories: "synchronous" and "asychronous." Synchronous means that teachers and students meet in real-time and speak with each other just like they were on a phone call or video chat. Instructors can teach as if they were in a live class, and they can have group or break-out discussions using sophisticated, user-friendly software. Many of us use propriety apps you're likely familiar with, including Zoom, Google Hangouts Meet, or Skype.

Asynchronous learning, on the other hand, is not done in real-time. Instead, students and instructors communicate back and forth throughout the day or week. The instructor may post an assignment for the week, share pre-recorded videos, have students collaborate on shared documents, host chat rooms, or assign participation in discussion boards.


If asynchronous learning makes you think of TV/VCR repair with Sally Struthers, you're selling it short with an unfair characterization. With asynchronous online coursework, there's continual, frequent communication between students and their instructors. Instructors keep up with students, give regular feedback, and work to ensure students learn. If done well, students are not left to their own devices to teach themselves. This approach gives more flexibility to students, because they don't need to attend class at a specific time.

So Professor, what did you choose?
I chose synchronous teaching . My rationale wasn't based on best practices in online learning, nor was it based on what students requested (I didn't ask). It wasn't even based in my experience with online teaching, which has included asynchronous courses and hybrid formats. My decision was based on what made sense to quickly move courses typically taught face-to-face to an online format.

With synchronous teaching, my students and I use video conferencing to meet during our regularly scheduled times. I use the same course material and learning activities that I prepared during winter break, and I can still see my students roll their eyes when I digress way, way off topic. We've had our course schedules set for a few months already, and we've practiced this format when I've needed to stay home when my kids have snow days and sick days.

I recognize, however, that once they get home, my students' schedules will need to change and other things will take priority as they deal with the quarantine. To help provide some flexibility, I record the class and make it available for review. And better yet, the software I use automatically makes a transcript, so students can quickly read the lecture rather than watch it.

What causes me to rethink my approach is not my students, but my Facebook feed. I read posts about best practices and how online learning works best. I question my decision. I feel compelled to do more, to do better. But then I get exhausted and crash on the sofa. When I wake up, when I've taken time to reflect, I realize that none of the research on best practices in online learning makes sense right now. None of it has been done in a crisis situation (that I'm aware of), and I'm doubtful there's much research on the impacts of changing modalities in the middle of the academic semester. So, I keep moving along, and I'm sticking with my decision. I may change my mind, but as of Day 2 of remote teaching, it seems to be working. My students have been fantastically flexible and forgiving, and I will work hard to make sure they learn what they need from my course.

Ben Dolan is an ecologist and college professor. He holds a PhD in forest ecology and teaches undergraduate courses in ecology, biology, GIS, botany, and conservation biology. He has led field biology courses in the United States, the Dominican Republic, and Ecuador. His research focuses on the effect of disturbances and pests on plant communities. Visit his personal website at https://www.biologyben.com/





Comments

  1. Ben - I couldn't agree more about the difficulty of converting to online teaching!! I'm in much the same boat as you as I've neither taken nor taught an online class so this is new. While I have taken Damon's courses on how to do this and they were surely helpful, the reality is so much harder!!!

    One of my problems is that one of my courses is all freshmen - either first or second semester. I asked them how many had ever done online classes and 6 out of 21 had done so. That presented another problem for me as I don't want the format of the course to get in the way of their learning. So I've decided to do a bit of a hybrid thing - part on Canvas and part via email. They were quite relieved when I explained that to them. We're nearing the end of week one and I'm impressed at what they've done so far! My plan is to send things each Monday and then follow their thinking and respond each week. I'm more comfortable with this for now and they seem to be as well.

    I think it's good to crash on the sofa. Or turn on the TV and go braindead for awhile. I'm just trying to stay sane through all of this. My daughter told me that she can't even imagine how hard this is on me as I'm the most extraverted person she knows. And she is so right!!!!

    Be well and WE'VE GOT THIS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ReaderBaer! I've been impressed with how much grace my students have given me, and it's important to do the same for them. One student said he didn't sign up for online classes, and he was really frustrated. It's a tough situation, and we need to be supportive of our students and of each other. Thanks for all your work on behalf of your students!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts