Keeping it Normal

Maintaining regular schedules can help make the transition easier. A professor shares her tips and thoughts on how she’s getting it done.

by Bethany Henderson-Dean, Ph.D.

Like Ben Dolan, I switched to synchronous also. Students have a difficult time managing their time. Right now they have nothing but time on their hands, however, they can binge watch Netflix, etc. Students need some normalcy. To be honest, so do I. My identity is with teaching, and I have a heart of a mom. I need to ensure that they are ok, so that I'm ok. I'm almost a week into this online only life, and it is working out. We can joke around with each other still. They can ask questions in real time, and they seem to respond better when people can't look at them.

With the screen share functionality, I can still show videos or do Kahoot sessions.

I still have my typical asynchronous courses, but I have made them have 30 minute meetings with me. These meetings can be at 9pm if needed as my schedule is free whenever.

Online recordings tied with quizzes or homework assessments works well also. The issue is that students feel less connected. I feel less connected.They can still ask me questions and help each other out. I started an online question and answer Google Doc for everyone to help out.  I made a fillable review sheet that I will go in and check to see if they are on the right track.

I have used some online labs through Howard Hughes that are free!  They come with worksheets already.  They are really high quality.

Judy, your Time Life Operator,with headset and mic!

Lastly, do what you can to aid in delivery: A headset with a mic is very helpful. I have a Surface with a pen which is invaluable! If you don't have the ability to write on your screen with a stylus, check out a Bamboo or other pen tablet. Most of the online recording programs have a way to draw on the screen; however, it is more difficult using a mouse.

Bethany Henderson-Dean is an associate professor and chair of the Department of Biology at the University of Findlay. She regularly teaches in the classroom and online, and her scholarly research is in the field of antibiotic resistance and microbial ecology. She earned her doctorate in microbiology from Ohio University.



Comments

Popular Posts